Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Glasses

I am pleased to update that Jack is healing like a superstar from his second surgery.  The doctor thinks this one is healing even faster than the first one.  He's also learned a lot more, like how to avoid eyedrops and squiggle away from the doctor. 

I wrote in an earlier post that we were none too excited about Jack having to wear glasses.  We still have the option to choose glasses or contacts, but he has to wear the glasses for now until the right eye is completely healed.  I was fully prepared for the stares and questions - if I saw a 3 month old wearing glasses, I would probably take a second glance as well.  I'll be honest - he looks adorable.  If he were some random kid on the street, I would think he looked pretty cute with the glasses.  What we are struggling with is that he doesn't look like Jack.  Because the prescription is so strong, they make his eyes look extremely large.  They are also a royal pain in the butt.  Baby noses were not designed to hold glasses up.  Every time he moves his head, they get knocked around, and he's discovered they make a great teether. 

Needless to say, we're going with contacts as soon as possible.  I think it will be better.  I feel so bad taking the glasses off even to clean them, because I know I've just taken his vision away. 

We have gone out a couple of times with the glasses.  We do get a few stares.  I got lots of questions from parents at the opthamologist, but I didn't mind that because their kids all have glasses too.  Mostly, people are curious what would cause a 3 month old to need glasses.  I hear a lot of little kids saying, "Mommy, that baby has glasses." 

What I was not prepared for is probably the most hurtful - people actually think I have these glasses on Jack because I think they look cute.  They truly believe that I am accessorizing my child.   We got Jack's ChildFind ID done a couple of weeks ago, and on his form I indicated that he needed glasses or contacts at all times.  The police officers doing it actually chuckled and whispered to each other because they figured I meant I was the one that needed glasses or contacts, and they didn't even include it on his ID. 

The hard part is over.  Surgeries are done and we can go back to living our new version of "normal" lives.  I'll say it again - this kid is 13 pounds of pure hero!  Here are a couple of pictures of him with the new glasses...


3 comments:

  1. He looks great in those glasses! I love the smile in the first picture.

    I've always bristled at the questions about whether Zoe's glasses are real, too. No, I don't just put glasses on her face because I think they're cute (though they are), we do it so she can see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie pie! We had the same crazy comments (though about hearing aids rather than glasses). We had people asking why we put earplugs in his ears (they're his earmolds), or why we let the baby listen to an iPod (seriously???).

    We get a chuckle out of it now, since Nolan is 3 and a half. But at the time, it was amazingly hurtful!

    ReplyDelete