Monday, November 1, 2010

This is worth blogging about!

Just last night, David said he was thinking to himself that I wouldn't have much to blog about anymore.  After all, between the 3-4 days when we have to change Jack's contacts, life feels almost "normal."  Well, that didn't last long! 

We got Jack's contacts in this morning with not too much drama.  Jack and I got dressed and headed out to Mommy Bootcamp.  When we got home, I did my routine every-couple-of-hours check, and lo and behold, I couldn't see a contact in his left eye.  I triple checked before texting David because I knew that was not a text he would be excited to get.  Put it this way, these are not your run of the mill 1-800-CONTACTS kind of deal.  These are special made, get one at a time, and a pair costs as much as daycare for a week.  I retraced our steps about 12 times, including inspecting every inch of Jack and I's clothing.  I checked the car, the carseat, I even checked to make sure it wasn't stuck to Rocky. 

Now, you may remember a few posts ago, the opthamologist lost the contact way up in his eye, so praying that's where it was, I called her office.  She told me to come in so she could check, but of course today was her day in Arlington.  We left an hour early because the traffic said 66 was backed up, and of course it took us 20 minutes to get there.  Jack had fallen asleep so I stopped and picked up some lunch and got there about 20 til 1.  Their office closes for lunch (actually, the entire hospital seems to close for lunch...don't go to Virginia Hospital Center for an emergency between 12 and 1!)  so Jack and I just walked around.  By this time, I had taken out his other contact and put his glasses on him so he'd be even, so we got about a zillion oos and ahs over the glasses.

Now, I know they were doing me a favor and squeezing me in, but we waited for an hour and 10 minutes to see the doctor!  It is very hard to keep a 4 month old happy for that long.  Jack got to see his buddy (hey, it had been almost 2 weeks!) and then she wasn't his buddy anymore.  Two different sized speculums and the contact was nowhere to be found...sigh.

I returned home, defeated, but I had this slight thought in the car that I had forgotten I had put Jack in his bouncy seat for about 30 seconds while I had gone to the bathroom earlier.  As soon as I got home, I looked in the bouncy chair, and there sat the missing contact lens! 

Since this is a supersonic lens, it is actually not ruined....it just needs to soak for a day or so.  And since this is this particular lenses 3rd escape, they are ordering a different fit, at no cost - just an exchange.  So for now, we are back in the glasses. 

We are both exhausted.  Jack was asleep by 7:30 if that's any indication, and I am not far behind him!

1 comment:

  1. Wow I'm impressed that you found it (and not by accident)! One time we lost one of Lindsey's lenses and had to order a new one but then I ended up finding the missing one in her infant carseat when we were in the doctor's office a week later picking up the replacement lens!

    ReplyDelete