Thursday, March 15, 2012

"Normal" for a day

I am not exactly sure what constitutes being "normal," but I have learned that most people don't consider a toddler in glasses very normal based on the endless stares and questions we get anytime we are out. Of course, Jack is immune to it, and I pray that he remains that way for as long as possible. This past week, we had a sneak peek of some beautiful spring weather, so Jack and I headed to the park with his friend from daycare, who also happens to wear glasses. I was excited to have her come along because what's cuter than a toddler in glasses? That's right - two toddlers in glasses!! We did have two people ask if they were twins...while they are both beautiful children, they look nothing alike apart from the fact that they both wear glasses. Anyways, that wasn't the reason that our trip to the park that day was so special. I heard a mom say, "Look, that little boy has glasses like you." I hear this a lot, but it's usually directed towards older children who wear very normal reading glasses or are wearing sunglassess, but today was different. I looked up to find another toddler wearing blue Miraflex frames! Well, if that wasn't exciting enough, we run to the other side of the playground and find yet another toddler in glasses. That means we are up to FOUR toddlers at the park in glasses. For once, kids stopped to stare at Jack's glasses because they were the same ones he was wearing! He got to look up and be face to face with kids that looked just like him. I know it didn't mean much to him that day, but it meant a whole lot to me that for one short afternoon, a toddler in glasses was completely "normal."


7 comments:

  1. I love this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I am so happy for you... and the pictures are ADORABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me smile, for sure! I get so excited when I see other little kids with glasses on. In real life, on TV, in books, stuffed animals... I notice it everywhere now. Although I don't think Easton has really caught on, ha. Someday he will and I hope he has a playground experience just like this... maybe just once!?! I hope. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I love that you had a day like this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So great! I found myself accosting another mom of a girl in glasses... Tommy doesn't have them yet but I so wanted to know all about her and her experience with it! She had a totally different problem (and was 3 years older) and the mom probably thinks I'm crazy, but I needed to connect! (PS she was wearing Miraflex glasses too!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. so fun!!! I am getting used to the stares at Elsa's glasses. She doesn't notice yet either. The only time I have ever met another miraflexer was at JC Penneys. The girl was a little younger than Elsa and in the midst of total meltdown. I wanted soooo badly to corner the mom and have a heart to heart about beautiful babies in glasses, but tantrums mixed with chit chat are not a mom's best friend so I spared the lady. I would probably cry with joy if I saw another baby with glasses at the park.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You And Your Son Are Such An Insparation! I Have Been Searching For Three Months For A Another Mom Who Has Been Through This, With So Much Insight On What Is To Come. My Son Was Born With Congenital Catataracts As Well. I Had Forgotten What Hope Was Until I Started Reading Your Blog :)

    ReplyDelete