Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Beauty is in the eye of the (2 year old) beholder

This picture was taken just moments after someone (a grandmother, nonetheless!) asked me if Jack would be able to get "more fashionable glasses" when he's older.  Perhaps you felt the world shake as my heart broke into a million tiny pieces.  I fought back the tears as  Jack ran happily around one of our new favorite indoor playgrounds.  It didn't phase him one bit. I felt sorry for him, and let's be honest, myself, until I was able to snap this picture.  I finally realized that when Jack looks in the mirror, this is what he sees.  Pure happiness - enjoying a day out with mom, jungle gyms and more importantly, a room dedicated to train tables. He really does not care that he wears glasses.  It's all he's known since he was 3 months old, so why would he think any differently?



I've carried such a burden on my shoulders since the day we found out he had cataracts. When we are at the grocery store, Jack sits there happily munching his free cookie (thank you, Harris Teeter) while I am constantly looking over my shouder to see if that woman is still staring, or if I can hear the child ask his mom why that baby is wearing glasses. The momma bear instinct just kicks in, and no matter what, it can't be quelled.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not mourning for a child without glasses. In fact, when Jack pulls them off at night, he's just not the same kid. I wonder to myself if, without glasses, he would be as funny, or as loving or as smart. I just think his resilience has made him into this super awesome kid! Now I know there may come a day when he looks in the mirror and sees what everyone has been staring at all these years. Be careful because the earth will shake when my heart breaks again. But, I pray that this smart and funny kid will just have so much to offer the world, that it won't a bit of difference. And let's be honest, there's a lot less to stare at when you see a five year old wearing glasses as opposed to a five month old.

So until then, Jack, keep making us laugh and giving us hugs. You can tell me, "Jack so silly" until the cows come home. We love you so much!

5 comments:

  1. It is so hard, and only people who have been down this road could understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are days that I am amazed at te strength of people... But wow, the stupid comments that pop out of people's mouths really catch me off guard every time!
    I LOVE his glasses and think yet are quite fashionable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The glasses are a part of who Jack is... and Jack IS beautiful and perfect in every single way, right now, today! And he knows that, he will always know that because he sees himself through your love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jack is perfect! And I do think our kiddos end up being extra, super wonderful not because of their eye issues, but in spite of them. His smile melts my heart. His glasses are fashionable - he wears them well.

    The comments and stares suck. No other way to describe it. But your love and mama bear protection will walk him through it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My oldest son, Adam was born 11 years ago with a congenital cataract. All I can remember is them telling me what a labor intensive and long process it was going to be to help him to be able to see (with no guarantee that it would work). Adam only had a cataract in one eye, so he was able to wear a contact after his surgery at 3 weeks old. We also had subsequent surgeries. He also had to wear glasses (on top of his contact) and an eye patch for at least 50 percent of his awake time (until he was 8). I can't believe he just turned 11. He is now able to wear contacts (in both eyes) and reading glasses to read. He has 20/20 vision and our doctor is amazed at his outcome. It has been a long road, but it is soooo worth it. Thank you for sharing Jack's story. You are a strong mom and you can do this. In the long run, Jack will look at this blog and all of the pictures and know how much you love him. Seeing Adam be able to hit a baseball and act like a normal 11 year old was worth all of the years of critism and hard work.

    ReplyDelete