Saturday, May 21, 2011

The End of the World? Almost.

I've noticed a theme among my recent blog entries: a bottle of wine to alleviate whatever stressful event related to cataracts there was that day, and a lost contact.  Well, fear not, I write this with the glass of wine in my hand but tonight the issue is not a lost contact.  It's lost GLASSES.

Yes, you read that right.  Jack managed to lose his only pair of glasses in the middle of busy Reston Town Center in the middle of their Fine Arts festival, which meant there were probably a couple thousand people walking around.  He was sitting in the stroller and as soon as we noticed they were gone, I retraced my steps as best I could, asking outdoor seating hosts at all the restaurants if anyone had seen little blue glasses.  By the time David caught up to me, Jack was hysterical because well, he couldn't see, and I was hysterical because he LOST HIS GLASSES. 

We flagged down some Fine Arts people on a golf cart who whisked off to see what they could do.  David went back and retraced our steps and I tried to entertain a somewhat blind baby.  After about 20 minutes (it could have been days), David called and told me to meet him at the Lost and Found near the ice skating rink.  He had run into a security guard who used the walkie talkie to page all of the Fine Arts people and all of the security guards to see if anyone had found them and he couldn't believe it when he heard, "I've got them" over the radio. 

The next thing I see is David walking towards us holding the glasses.  I was hysterical at this point.  People were stopping to ask if we were okay because they thought we had lost a child.  Close enough, people, close enough. 

We start to walk back to the car and 2 ladies at an outside bar stopped us and said, "Oh good, you found them.  We turned those in awhile ago."  You bet we hugged those ladies until it hurt.  They told us they had seen Jack earlier and commented on how cute he looked in his glasses, so when they found them on the ground, they figured they had to be important and turned them in. 

So, yes, our world really did end around 6pm tonight for a half hour or so, but praise God that there are angels wandering around out there.  I hope those angels enjoy their night at Jackson's. ;-)

I also realize that "wine" is going to start showing up in my traffic sources for how people find this blog, so for those of you that are wondering, tonight we are enjoying Sweet Mountain Laurel from one of our favorite wineries, Chateau Morrisette. 

3 comments:

  1. Oh yikes! We only had one lost glasses incident and they were luckily found quickly - and weren't lost at a festival - just the thought of all those feet potentially stepping on the glasses gives me chills. Hooray for the lovely ladies that found the glasses and turned them in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a relief! The panic I feel when I lose his contact is horrible. I feel like I can't breathe. I am so glad you found them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just recovering from a chucked glasses incident. Elsa threw hers on a walk home in the dark....Her big sister retraced our steps and saw the street light reflecting off of them. Needless to say there are a few big scratches in them, but I just ordered another pair so we should be fixed up shortly. Whew. So stressful.

    ReplyDelete