Sunday, February 27, 2011

Raw emotions

Jack has been in his glasses for the past couple of weeks.  He had a lot of eye goop, which we thought was a double case of pink eye.  After a week in glasses and on antibiotics, we put the contacts back in and later that night, the goop was back.  Turns out, it's something to do with the contacts.  We go to the doctor tomorrow, so hopefully she'll shed some light on it, but he's been in glasses for about 3 weeks.

Last Wednesday, I picked up Jack from daycare.  When I walked in, he and another boy were playing and he was happy as can be.  I snuck around the corner to get his bottles, and by the time I came back around, he was crying hysterically and both caregivers in the room had rushed over to him.  Jack NEVER cries, so I tried not to be the neurotic mom and just laugh nervously.  Turns out, a little walker gal in the room had come over and pulled his glasses.  I guess they kind of snapped back in his face, causing his outburst.  If you were in the room, you probably could have heard my heart break on the spot.  I know she's young and was just curious, but I felt like it was a direct hit on my poor little baby. 

Then today, we went out on our regular errands.  Sometimes, I am brave and dare people to give my son a second look.  Today, I was not in the mood.  I watched everyone walk by and whisper to someone with them about the glasses, or stare a second too long.  The worst was a conversation with a store employee:

Him:  Those aren't real glasses, are they?
Me: Yes, I wouldn't have them on him if they weren't.
Him: No way! I was going to ask you where you got them so I could get a pair for my son.

Really? REALLY?  You have got to be kidding me.  This was a completely innocent comment, but come on.  If you're going to say something completely ridiculous, keep.your.mouth.shut.

As much as I try to pretend nothing bothers me anymore, or accept everyone's comments that he's "just too cute in the glasses," this is still all part of the journey.

3 comments:

  1. I know how you are feeling. Nicole is not in glasses but is patched. I am tired of the stares, the questions. Just tired.
    But...today was her Baptism. I admit I am not overly religous but in these days leading to today we had many new stressors (she's developed glaucoma)and I'd begun to question why all this happens...and started to doubt. Then we walked into the Church. On the wall was a large sign that simply said One Day at a Time. I felt like it spoke directly to us. Things are so much easier one day at a time. Good Luck with sorting out the contacts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those comments are the worst, aren't they? The "are those real glasses?" question always bugged me the most, and I'm not entirely sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you can do it. your are strong and brave..

    ReplyDelete